Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

More Time

When people outside of our church hear me talk about the FLY Convention, it’s easy to think I’m speaking about an aviation conference. However, this is far from the truth. Rather F.L.Y. is an acronym for Free Lutheran Youth, and the FLY Convention is the bi-annual youth convention for our Church Fellowship

FLY, (as many call it) is held on the YMCA Camp of the Rockies which is nestled in the Rocky Mountains just outside of Estes Park, CO. Last year’s convention, was held over the week of July 4th; and I served as the Technical Manager for the Convention. I oversaw the pre, post, and live production, of the events held in our main meeting area; which is an oversized gymnasium. This was a massive task, one that required months of planning and lots of manpower. 

The weeks leading up to the convention were filled with stress as I scrambled to complete all the last minute details. As I drove up the mountain Saturday July 2nd all the stress from the past weeks melted away, and I eagerly waited to begin the transformation of the stark gym into a warm and engaging meeting room. 

From the moment I set foot on the YMCA Camp, I was faced with set backs. A storm in South Dakota nearly blew our semi off the road, our rented truck overheated on it’s ascent up the mountain, and this was only the beginning. Once all the supplies and staff landed safely onsite, we began to unload, unpack, and build the stage. Already behind, we had less than 48 hours before 1800 people descended on the Camp. 

For the next 36 hours, breaking only for food and little sleep, my crew worked hard; handling every task with care and completing them as fast as humanly possible. As I collapsed on my bed early Monday morning July 4th I had only one desire - more time. That’s what I truly needed, more time. As I drifted off for a short nap, I was unsure if we would be able to finish before our opening service that evening. 

More time is all I asked for, as others continued to inquire how they could help, or what they could get me. More time, I would say. I just need more time. 

This theme continued throughout July 4th, along-with a few more surprises. Before I knew it, the camp was bustling with people and according to my watch, the opening service was less than 90 minutes away. We were not ready. More time, that’s what I needed. It seemed like an impossible request. 

Soon, I was greeted by the leaders of the convention. I assumed they were coming to check in on the progress. I was wrong. They were coming to give me a progress report. It seemed I wasn’t the only behind that day. 

Due to the holiday, the kitchen staff was not adequately prepared to serve supper for the 1800 people who had arrived that afternoon. The lines were backed up a good ¼ mile. It was evident that many of the conference attendees wouldn’t be done eating by the scheduled start time. As a result, they were coming to ask if we could start later. Without a second thought, I said YES! 

As I reflected on this a year later, I was again amazed at my God. He gave me the one thing, the only thing I needed - more time. I was reminded that God knows of and cares for all my struggles; that He is all powerful and capable of doing exceedingly more then I can ever imagine. Even the impossible - Giving more time. 

James 4:3 says “You do not have because you do not ask God.” Upon reflection, I realized during the stress of the event I never asked God for the one thing I needed. More Time. Sure, that’s the answer I gave everyone else, but I never took it to God. I thought it was a fruitless prayer since it was impossible. (Apparently I forgot the time when God caused the sun to stand for Israel.) Despite my unbelief God gave me just what I needed - more time. However, I can’t help but wonder what stress I would have been spared if I had only gone to Him in prayer sooner.

Let heed Christ’s encouragement to you bring all our needs, especially the impossible ones to the Lord in prayer. 

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.” John 15:7

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home