Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Casting and Catching


I’m not a fisherman. In fact, I’ve never caught a fish. True I did grow up in the land of 10,000 lakes, but I never learned nor had the desire to fish. Moreover, I can count the number of times I’ve “gone fishing” on one hand. Although I am not a fisherman, nor do I claim to possess any knowledge on the topic, there is one thing I know for certain. You do not catch a fish every time you cast your line - see I’ve never caught a fish.
If this were true, if you really did catch a fish each time you baited your hook, I would not be able to say this. I would have caught something. But no. Casting and catching are not always married. 
In fact, it is possible to cast your line hundreds if not thousands of times without reeling in anything. But that does not stop the fisherman. No, he continues to cast his line in spite of his results. Even a long day (or night) of pulling up nothing but his bait doesn’t stop him. He returns not defeated, maybe a little discouraged, but not defeated. Instead of hanging up his pole, he fixes his eyes on the next opportunity to head back out and fish again. For he knows that sometime he will catch a fish, if he only keeps on casting. 
The same is true for the Christian as well. In Matthew 4:19 Jesus invites us to come and follow Him, and promises that if we do He will make us “fishers of men.” 
Fishers of Men? Why did Christ choose that phrase? Why did he choose that profession? He had many to choose from. He could have looked at Matthew the tax collector and said “come follow Me and you will settle spiritual accounts.” But no. Jesus said, “fishers of men.”
Just like the fishermen who cast for walleye, muskie, or sunfish will not have success each toss of the line; the fisher-of-men will not always catch a soul each time he casts the gospel either. Yet much like the fishermen, the fisher-of-men must not give up. He must keep casting, keep seeking, keep sharing the good news of Jesus. 
I’ve never caught a fish. But then again I haven’t tried very many times either; and unless I cast again I never will. Sadly, many Christians are like me. “I’ve never seen anyone come to Christ.” they say. Yet when asked how many times they have shared their faith, most could count that on one hand as well. 
Keep casting. Keep seeking. Keep sharing Christ; and sometime you will see someone come to Christ. 
You might not catch a fish each time you cast, but you will if you don’t stop casting.
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.”

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home